Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to make your Mom Happy... and clean out the Fridge.

Whenever I go visit my mom and vice-mom, I head straight for the fridge. They buy all sorts of GREAT groceries, but only use about half of each item. I combine the orphans. They always invite me back.

The inventions from the start of this trip:
Tapas Salads - I served these on tiny plates with sesame crisps. I also pulled out a dry white wine.

*Asian Cukes*
2 mini cucumbers cut on the bias - about 1/4 in. thick

Dressing:
2:2 soy sauce and balsamic vinegar
1:1 sesame oil and chili oil
sesame seeds
crushed red pepper

Mix together, let sit in the fridge for a few hours - or eat right NOW
(the proportions are approx. - adjust to taste. I've given ratios, so if your amount is Tbs, then this means 2 Tbs soy, 1Tbs oil and so on.)

*Simplest Pea Salad*

Any amount or mixture of peas you eat with the pod (snow, sugar etc.)
Cut them on the diagonal about the width of your thumb.

Dressing Per large handful of peas:
1 garlic clove chopped fine and smashed with
1/4 - 1/2 tsp coarse salt (kosher, sea, whatever)
1+ tsp olive oil (really tasty)

Shake these together with the peas until mixed really well.

Grind on pepper until it has a sneaky little kick.

Add anything red from your vegetable drawer that needs to get used
(suggestions - tomatoes, red peppers, red onions, radishes, raddichio)

Also let sit or Eat Right NOW!

No comments: