Monday, July 15, 2013

Sauerkraut Salad Dressing

Summer Time is Salad Time!



I've been getting some of the most delicious sauerkraut in my CSA boxes, and enjoying it with sausage and the spicy "kim chi"type with Korean short ribs.  But the sour, crunchy, tingly stuff deserves more exposure, and we got these delicious sweet Nantes carrots in the CSA box.

fat, stubby and super sweet!

They are so sweet and fresh that I didn't want to waste any tender crunchiness by using my carrot peeler.

So I gave then a good scrub with the trusty brush I go just for the purpose:

 And then using my knife to just scrape off the few hairy roots that were clinging on, and maybe a bit of the tougher surface skin:
You can see little bits of the scraped skin on the knife and cutting board.
So I needed to figure out a way to bring together the carrot and the tasty, tasty, crunchy, lip-smacky sauerkraut.  Now pickled carrots are a good thing, so I figured the two should go together, but the sweet of the carrots needed a little more salty to go with the sauerkraut, and maybe a little creamy to smooth out the flavor.  Which is how I came up with this fermentation three-fer:

Sauerkraut Salad Dressing

Ingredients:
Oly-Kraut Sauerkraut (start with one of the "plain" flavors, rather than a "spicy" one.)
yogurt
soy sauce

Equipment:
knife
cutting board
small bowl 
spoon

Prep:
Take a couple of spoonfuls of sauerkraut, and chop it so there are no big pieces, and scrape it into the bowl.  

Cook! 
Add just enough yogurt to coat the sauerkraut.
Then gently drip the soy sauce in until the salty, sour and creamy balance each other.
Add to a salad of crispy, crunchy, sweet vegetables and some fresh sweet lettuce leaves.

No comments: